During the last days of pregnancy you may feel restless, irritable, and unable to get comfortable even during the day!
It is in these days, however, that many women also experience the urge to “nest”, a burst of energy that gets them cleaning, organising, tidying, rearranging the furniture and scrubbing the cooker and floor! Don’t overdo it if the urge does come upon you, and don’t fret if your windows aren’t shining and the house isn’t dust-free before the birth. He or she won’t be passing comment on your housekeeping skills for a while yet! And your time might be better spent in conserving your energy for the sleep deprivation that is ahead, or in following some or all of our tips below.
- Double-check you have everything in your labour bag and all your postnatal essentials.
- Stick a note on your fridge with all your important numbers – the hospital; your doctor or midwife; your partner’s work and mobile; a reliable taxi company; the babysitter/family/friends who will be looking after your other children.
- Put a mattress protector on in case waters leak or break in the bed.
- Start drinking raspberry leaf tea if you aren't already.
- Take Evening Primrose oil supplements from 37 weeks if your carer agrees. There is some evidence that it helps prepare the cervix.
- Sit/bounce on your birthing ball.
- Keep up your Optimal Foetal Positioning exercises
- Practice your breathing exercises.
- Walk as much as you can to build up stamina.
- Prepare for breastfeeding by massaging the nipples with a little petroleum jelly or Lanisoh. Seek advice if your nipples are inverted.
- If you are constipated, address it now. Otherwise it could add to your discomfort in labour.
- Conserve your energy. Have a rest or nap during the day, even if you don’t feel like one.
- Decide where you will be changing your baby’s nappies.
- If you have the energy cook up some meals for the freezer, or buy in food that can be quickly prepared (ideally by someone else, and not you).
- If you are novices, spend as much time together as possible as a couple. All will be changed, changed utterly in a few days/weeks. Enjoy those lie-ins and leisurely lunches together now!